Tuesday, September 30, 2008

My Niece

So, I have a niece who is about to be 12 years old, Kaycie. Yeah, do the math, I was 16 when she was born. Some people in my family do things a little bit early. It's just us. But, she's been a source of constant entertainment and delight from the moment she was born. Nevermind that she cried everytime I held her when she was first born. Nevermind that when I call, she's usually too busy to talk to me. Spending time with her is where the true fun begins.

This year, my father graduated from college. He has been taking online courses from a school in Denver for many years. I believe since I was in junior high. However, between raising three kids, maintaining a successfull marriage, and a full time job, he's had to go a little slowly. Finally, this year he succeeded and has a college degree.

My entire family went over to Denver for the commencement this year, kids included. The day of the graduation, we decide to head out for a celebratory dinner which includes us all giving my father the watch we got him for his big day. In true style to my father, he has a big speech prepared for said dinner, also a little surprise for my mom.

As it turns out, my father is a tremendously wonderful public speaker, naturally where I get my talents. So, in a little speech give to my mother, myself, my sisters, their respective husbands, and children, and my father's parents, he begins to thank all of us for our support for standing by him through his struggles to complete this chapter in his life. Of course we were all grateful and excited to be there. Then he began speaking specifically about my mother. Thanking her for being a truly wonderful partner, without which, he'd never have succeeded in any facet of life.

In this specifically directed thank you, he presented my mom with a little box. Inside the box, a necklace. A journey necklace, to be precise. It's a gold hoop on a chain, and inside the hoop is a curved line with diamonds. My father explains that the hoop symbolizes their unity, and the cruved center represents the journey of life they are on. Of course, at this moment, we're ALL in tears, because none of us really expected it. Plus, my parents union is truly one fairy tales are made from. However, with a brief pause to admire the necklace and revel in the moment, my niece, without missing a beat, says, "Awwwww, he went to Jarrod's"

And that is the wit and humor that is my niece. Enough said. She's the funniest person in our family.

No comments: