Thursday, November 13, 2008

Gay Stuff...

So, yesterday, at the urging of a good friend of mine, I went to the protest against the mormon church in NYC. Normally, I don't think it's a good idea to single out a specific group like this, but when they were the majority of supporters who voted yes for prop 8, i really felt compelled. It was so beautiful to see 20,000 New Yorkers out and proud for what they believe in. It wasn't just gay people too. It was everyone. It was just a shining example of how people who have nothing in common but a single belief can come together and stand for what they think is right.

The best part of the evening was that my roommate was there. He's a person who happens to be mormon, republican, and gay. All three of these ideas seem to be so catastrophic when linked together, but for him, it works. He believes in looking at all issues from both sides and really weighing out what is best for himself and his own personal beliefs. He probably voted for McCain, but that's because he's not a single issue voter. I honestly don't know who he voted for, nor do I care. But, he joined up in the protest last night, and I think he, more than myself, should be admired for such a thing.

He recently wrote a blog, in which I commented, then someone commented back talking about how people would sue churches for not allowing gays to marry there for the simple fact, "because they could." Let me just say this in response. It will probably happen, the suing of a church over gay marriage, because people are idiots.  People sue for any reason in which they think they can 'get rich quick.' Because in this country, we have been raised to believe that it's never our own fault. So many people are quick to blame others for their lot in life, when in reality, it's not. Our country promotes, give us your tired, your weak... blah blah blah, I forget how the quote goes, but it really should say, "give us your people who want to blame someone else for their troubles, because it's not REALLY your fault, is it?" 

Someone suing a church over gay marriage is idiotic. Why? Because the bible doesn't condone it, and neither does any other religious scripture. So, I don't think a church should have to marry us. I think the government has to marry us at the courthouse, though. I pay my taxes just like everyone else. I hold the constitution and the laws of this country to a very high esteem. So therefore, I should be afforded my right to get married. To whomever I choose. Now, any church, temple, or whatever can disagree with this, but I tell you right now, you don't have to marry me. You don't have to deal with me. I just want the civil liberties granted to the heterosexual community. 

And another thing. I am pretty sure that my family supports me in my quest to become a married citizen. As a gay person, I'm happy they support me, but what if I wasn't their family member, son, brother, uncle? I would still like to hope that they would support gay marriage. So the thing is this. Even if you know gay people, are related to them, or whatever. Support gay marriage because it's the right thing to do. Not because you're influenced by the people around you. Look in your heart. Listen to the stories of couples having been together for 50+ years who yearn to have some sort of legal rights as they are about to pass on from this world. Tell them to their face they don't deserve some sort of rights, or haven't earned it in their many years of devotion to one other person. Look at them and tell them that they are going to burn in hell. Look at them and judge them. Then call yourself a christian. Judge all of us, fine. But know that it is your own soul you will have to answer for. We're not asking that you save us, or that you convert us to your way of thinking. We're simply asking that you live your own life, and we will live ours.

2 comments:

Rance Wright said...

Steve, I do believe I am the only person responding on your blog...so um...tell Matt to start commenting so I dont feel so lonely! lol. Anyway, Thank you for giving me a shout out...you are a wonderful roommate...and I am proud that we both took a stand in hopes to one day make a difference.

Rance

Unknown said...

STEVE RIGGLE.

I can't get over it. You and Rance are ROOMMATES! The SMALL WORLD theme should be playing right now.

Anyway. Word. It's Laura Dlug. WHAT IS UP. I have a link to your blog through Rance and now you have a link to mine!

I sent him an email re: my cabaret Monday night and asked him to forward to you. I don't know your e-mail address! I'm sure you're busy but wanted to toss that out there.

In other news, THIS BLOG ROCKS. The passing of Prop 8 was so upsetting to me and it just boggles my mind, it really does, especially in the state of California. Anyway, I will now browse your archives and see what you have been up to! EXCITING!

Talk to you soon! :)

~Laura