Thursday, August 12, 2010

Riggle me this, waiter rant!

As a server, and I know I write about this a lot, we are subjected to ill treatment. Actually, that's not just servers, that's anyone in the service industry. People like Steven Slater happen everyday, however, their freak-outs don't usually require the police or an inflatable slide. Sometimes, they are just your run of the mill, beat up your heart, defeating, humiliating situations in which you just don't get why they have to happen.

Last night, I was working in the club of my restaurant. I had a table of two complain to me that their service was less than perfect. I can't say I disagree with them, but their complaint was that I didn't refill their waters and I didn't get their drinks in a timely manner and I didn't check in with them enough. The man said to me, "You can ask anyone who works here, I come in all the time." My reply was, "yes I know, I've waited on you before." The man, "No you haven't." Well, I'm not really sure what to do with that because I most certainly have. I remember anyone who's asked for my name over five times. And in my defense, I filled his water about eight times in the course of thirty minutes, when he ordered his drink, I put it in the computer, then walked to the bar, then walked it back to his table. A task that took all of forty-five seconds. And in the club, I generally don't verbally check in with my tables because of the music, but how about the six or seven times I walked by your table and made direct eye contact? Does that not count as checking in? Aren't you an adult who can ask for things they need?

Anywho, that happened. Then I went over to this table of five; four men, one woman. And the woman was a total bitch. She had been dominating most of the men at the table. She even went so far as to tell one of the guys' son's that he couldn't have a coke because that was too much caffeine for how late it was. It was just a tacky move, she wasn't even the kid's mom! Anyways, I let them sit for a few minutes with dessert menu's then I went to ask them if they would like anything before the show was over. She immediately said, "JESUS! Would you stop talking to us?" I mean, what?!?!? It was 100% out of the blue. I can't even begin to figure out why that would be an outburst from her. BUt the kid at the table said, "Actually, I'd like to order something, please." There it is. Please. One of the most important words in the English language. I was damn near ready to comp anything this kid wanted just for having manners. I just think it's amazing that a woman of forty is so rude, yet this kid, clearly in her company, had wonderful manners and treated everyone with respect. It was fantastic, so it definitely made up for the bitch. A little bit.


Then the other shoe dropped. My first table that complained left after the show. The man stopped by me and said goodnight. I apologized again and he told me not to worry about it. I assumed that meant we were all cool. Oh no. Oh no no no no no no. The woman at that table came up to me and said, I shit you not, "by the way, I just wanted to let you know that you're incompetent. That's why you're just a waiter." I had no idea what to say. A million things come to my mind in retrospect. All of them equally if not more hateful than that last. But, at that moment, I was defeated. I retreated into myself and allowed all of the blather of the evening to take over and I just sank. So, I looked at her and said, "I'm sorry you feel that way," I walked away to the employee restroom and had to fight back my tears. I just don't understand. I thought, from the guy saying not to worry about it, that we were cool. I know that I messed things up a little bit. I'm not denying it. But why did she have to just dig that knife in a little bit deeper?

I've concluded that these two women, while having an attractive exterior, have dark and ugly souls and one day karma will kick them in the ass. Even if it doesn't, I still take a small bit of joy in hoping that it will.

No comments: