Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Riggle me this, I clean because i love?

So, when I was younger, and, I mean, YOUNGER, I lived for going back to school. Getting school supplies was my favorite thing in the world. By the beginning to middle of August, I would have all of my pens, paper, notebooks, and if possible my textbooks for the year. Yeah, I know, I'm a school nerd. BIG TIME! Don't judge. I loved, and still do, learning and yes, I getting a fun tingle in my belly when I see a sale at Staples. Call me any name in the book you want, and I promise I'll just smile it away, because I love school supplies.

The past few years though, I've found my love for school supplies to be as strong as ever, but something new has come around with it; cleaning supplies. Well, more specifically, basic cleaning supplies. I know, I know, I'm old. And most of you would say it's just because I'm all coupled off and stay at home all the time. But, you'd be wrong. This love affair has been building since I was about twenty-four or twenty-five, long before I even met Matt. So, yeah. Take that judgey mcjudgies.

Anywho, if you need advice on how to clean anything in your apartment, or house for that matter, you really need only a few things to clean anything. Windex (not to be like the dad from MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING, but Windex clean everything!), Mr. Clean Magic Erasers, a broom, a swiffer wet-jet, and a vacuum. That's it. Well, maybe some paper towels too. But seriously. There is no need to go by all of the harsh odor chemically bullshit priced cleaning supplies to get everything done. And, yes, I'm well aware that I sound like some sort of desperate housewife in need of a good lay, but I think cleaning is a wonderful wonderful thing and everyone needs to know about it.

Two days ago, after about two years of battling with my shark hand-vac and being dissatisfied with my always almost clean rug in my living room, I purchased a real honest to goodness vacuum cleaner. Cue the chorus of hallelujah. It seriously was the most miraculous thing of my month, which now in retrospect of writing this, makes me a little sad that this one purchase was the best thing about July for me, but whatever, I'm excited. I have a new vacuum and my rug has never been cleaner. I don't even think it was this clean when I bought it. Vacuuming it makes it looks brand spanking new and it feels so soft and wonderful. And that's saying a lot, considering I have a dog that sheds as much as he does.

So, I love cleaning. I'm a dork. I'm a nerd. I love school supplies too. I doubt either thing will change anytime soon. But, hey, that's me. I can own my nerdiness and wear it with pride. And I have a super clean apt. Do you?

1 comment:

Ingrid said...

Oh friend, I adore this post. I too lived for school supply shopping and used to use any connections I could to get lists in advance and set up notebooks with tab dividers before anyone else. And cleaning, yes please. I'm not as good as I used to be, but once upon a time ago (when I lived alone...sans 5 and 6 yr. olds),I had a very clean apt...I miss it!