Monday, January 26, 2009

Selfish...

selfish
-adjective
1. devoted to or caring only for oneself; concerned primarily with one's own interests, benefits, welfare, etc., regardless of others.
2. characterized by or manifesting concern or care only for oneself



A friend of mine just broke up with his boyfriend. I know, I know. It sounds like I'm about to start that whole "a friend of mine" bullshit, when in reality, I'm talking about myself. Well, that is certainly not the case. My friend really did break up with his boyfriend. These things are not easy circumstances to deal with. I'm sure we've all been through the big ones, the not so big ones, and the ones that you can't wait to get out of your life. It all happens. But, no matter what the situation is, the ending isn't always the easiest.

But the funniest thing to me is this. When one person wants the relationship to be over, it usually means it's over. Maybe not always, but generally speaking. And when that person decides that the relationship isn't right for them, because they need something, they are usually called selfish. But what about the people who are desperate to stay in the relationship? Aren't they being selfish by only caring about what they want? Shouldn't they be just as blamed for being selfish by thinking of themselves?

The ends of relationships suck. They hurt.

No comments: