Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Riggle me this, VOTING!!!

I am furious. I am outraged at what happened today.

No, I'm not talking about who won the elections in NY, or who won across the country, for that matter. I'm angry about the lack of people voting. This is your chance to make a difference. This election, in particular affects your way of life more than the presidential election. LOCAL POLITICS PEOPLE! That's how we get our president in the first place. The people we elect to represent us locally, represent us nationally. Their job is to take our voices to the national level to make sure what we want is heard and respected. So, why on Earth would anyone not be out voting today???

On Facebook, they had a little link as I logged in today that kept a tally of how many people on Facebook voted. I was amazed that the number reached into the millions so quickly and so early today. Yet, I was sad that by 4:00PM, roughly 7 million people had voted and only 70 of my 750 friends on facebook had done so. Granted, I can't be certain that they all clicked the box saying, "i voted," so, it's difficult to say how accurate that is.

But, then as I watched the election results later in the evening, I started noticing a trend among the polls. Every time they showed how tight the race was in each state, I started to look at the number of votes each candidate had. Vermont, for example had around 70,000 voting for one candidate and 50,000 for the other. That's around 120,000 people voting for a state that boasts close to 700,000 people living in it. So, that mean that the state of Vermont has 550,000 (give or take) people living in it under the voting age? I doubt it. Really people? The state of Wyoming had cast 12,000 votes and the state has 500,000 people in it, so what they're saying is they only have 12,000 adults in it? Please!

Why are so many people willing to allow just a mere 12,000 people decide the fate of themselves? Why don't more people take the 5 minutes out of their day that it takes to vote. I don't understand it! I am thirty years old and I have never missed an election in my life. Not one. I have voted in every single election since I was 18. No, I didn't and still don't always understand where every single candidate stands, nor will I ever, and I seriously doubt anyone else will either. Politicians are primarily focused on winning. So it's a serious amount of bullshit one has to weed through to figure out who stands where and who really means what they say.

I will never understand why anyone would think it's ok to complain about the people in office, but do nothing to have a say in who is in office. It's easy to judge and even easier to vote.

As to my friends on Facebook who didn't vote, I ask you why you even want to be my friend anymore? If you can't even care enough about your own state of affairs enough to protect your rights and your ideals and your morals, then you don't deserve my friendship; via Facebook or otherwise. To those people who are not my friend, who might even hate me for who I am, I ask you why? Why do you not stand up and oppose me for what I believe in, even if you so clearly support the opposite side? Why simply hand me the trophy? Or why simply hand it to the other side? Why give up?

There are so many people out there who are just like me, or just like you, or people that are younger that look up to you or me and what kind of example are you setting for them? Ask yourself, if I were my own child, would I be proud of the type of parent I am? Would I want to grow up to be like myself? Or would I be so ready to go the opposite direction?

I grew up in Wyoming in a fairly conservative house. It wasn't always easy, but one of the best things about it was that my parents taught me to be my own person and believe what I chose because I felt so strongly about it, not because they did. I am incredibly lucky to have parents willing to not only stand against me, but allow mt to stand against them. They encouraged many healthy political discussions and as much as my democratic friends in NYC don't believe it, the best political debates I've ever had are with my republican father. Not only is he wise, he is fair and willing to listen. He taught me to always listen to both sides of every situation and he also taught me to make my voice heard and to stand up for what I believe in and fight for what is right.

Yes, I'm incredibly fortunate, and I hope one day, I have a child who looks at me the same way. I hope to one day be able to continue on the saying of my father and tell my child, "I don't care who you vote for, just exercise your right to vote."

So I will say it to you. Exercise your right to vote.

Be Heard.

Be counted

VOTE!!! Damnit!

4 comments:

Kara said...

I voted. :)

Don't forget- those Wyoming numbers- our polls only closed an hour ago, so the count will go up!! But I hear what you're saying. I don't know why you WOULDN'T vote.

Steven said...

True, I realized that after I wrote it, but still. It ended up being something like 75,000 people. I think that's so sad. I feel like only about 25% of each state voted. It makes me sick.

AJR said...

I was one of those amongst your friends who didn't vote. I am registered in AZ, and didn't change it to New York in time.

And you're right. For all my bitching and complaining about what goes on in the government, I should have taken the time to make sure I was registered in what is now my home state.

Yes, I have excuses as to why I didn't (apartment fire, late taxes to be filed, overbooked schedule, etc.) but the truth is, that if I wanted to make time I most likely could have.

My next course of action? First, change my registration. Next, keep standing up for causes I believe in. Keep fighting the good fight as much as I can, maybe even more-so. Since I didn't take time to help choose my leaders, I'll have to try to voice to the newly-elected leaders what, at least one of their constituents wants from his government. And the more people that do that, the more they will be inclined to follow through.

You may delete me from your friends' list should you so desire.

Steven said...

alex- i would never delete you as my fb friend or real friend, for that matter. I know you care. And I also have a pretty good idea who you would have voted for and I think they all got elected. But, you should definitely change your registration here. Needless to say though, I am surprised that you hadn't yet. You are one of my most up to date politically minded friends. I know you mean well and you will always fight the good fight. Get in there buddy!