Monday, February 2, 2009

Age...

I have a friend who has lied about her age almost as long as I've known her. When we met several years ago, she was a couple of years older than me. As of this month, she's currently the same age as me. Now, I really don't care that she lies about this, because many people do. But what's the big deal? It's almost that she thinks that she has to because she does, in fact, look a little bit younger than she really is. Or maybe it's because she has less going for her right now than she'd like. But, it's just annoying at this point.

About a year ago, said friend and I were out and someone(a different friend of mine) came over and asked me her age and I said, truthfully what it was. And then without masking any contempt for me, I was corrected, and not only corrected, but was reprimanded for lying. Then she looked at the person who had asked and said she was younger than me! What's really funny about this is that the guy who wanted to ask my friend out decided not to because he felt that my girlfriend was too wrapped up in superficial bullshit. He only asked her age to make sure she was old enough to be out of college. He would have been more into her had she been truthful. So, by lying, she lost out on a chance to possibly date someone really wonderful. My two friends have since become mutual acquaintances, but still, there may have been more.

So this is my thing. I'm 28. No, I haven't accomplished everything I wanted to by the age of 28. I will be turning 29 this year. I know that there are people much younger than me that have gone on to do great things. But, it's not a bad thing to be 28 and not be where you thought you would be. There are many people in this world who make it their whole lives not doing what they thought they would. The best you can hope for is to live your life each day and make the most of it. Chase your dreams and don't let anything stop you. I know this is all advice that I should take myself, but I'm figuring that out on my own time. So the next time you bitch about your job, if you really hate it that much, quit. You can always find another one. Maybe not right now in the current economy, but if you've been bitching for 5 years about a job you hate, then change your life. You're not stuck in a rut because you can't get out, you're stuck in a rut because you won't get out. And age is seriously a number, those people who make a big deal about it and feel they have to lie? Well everyone cares how old you are because you make a big deal about hiding it. Why? No one would care if you said you were really about to be 32 or 40, because most of us already know how old you are anyways.

So, let it go. The things you think people will care about are what they will most likely care least about.


No comments: